Sunday, January 15, 2012

Make a Tiered or Ruffle Skirt Under $5

From what I can tell, ruffles are all the rage in baby girl clothing these days. But as usual, rather then buy, I decided to try and make a ruffle skirt myself. This would be a very first try for me.

As soon as I found the fabric, I knew the project was going to be a success. The fabric cost me $1.99 per yard - and it's a 2003 Robert Kaufmann fabric, 100% cotton. So, an older fabric, but still very contemporary, I find. I got it from a sewing supply store near Queens St W & Spadina (the very first on the SW corner).

The skirts below are in size 2-3, made for my older daughter. Note that for a toddler skirt you need between 1/2 and 1 yard, so roughly each skirt cost about $1 to make.



And the next ones are size 1, made for my younger daughter:


The brown skirt above is entirely recycled. I made it from a really soft corduroy that came from my husband's old Ralph Lauren shirt, and an additional fabric leftover. I love its peasant look!

If interested in trying this yourself, and you have basic sewing skills, check out the following sites. These great online tutorials have step-by-step instructions:

http://www.kukyideas.com/journal/2006/07/tiered-skirt-tutorial.html

http://www.rufflesandstuff.com/2010/04/murpheys-layered-skirt.html

Now compare with baby GAP:
Contrast tiered dress, $38:
 Plaid skirt/tights, $31:

Tiered skirt, $15 on sale:

Ombre layered ruffle skirt, $22-30:

Would you rather save (DIY) or splurge (buy)? Decide yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment